History TOPIC ID 49
1. Why has American music dominated the world's tastes in popular music since the mid-19th century?
2. Why does music loom particularly large in the lives of adolescents?
3. Various kinds of contemporary music appeal to distinct groups. Identify which groups tend to prefer the following kinds of music--and why:
- heavy metal
- hard rock
- classic rock
- Tejano 4. Are there differences in young men's and young women's tastes in music?
5. Repeatedly, African American music has revitalized American popular music. Why do you think that African American music has had a disproportionately large impact on American popular music?
6. Over time, music meant to be played and sung has give way to music intended to be listened or danced to. Why?
7. Today, there appear to be fewer political songs, reform songs, and work songs than in the past, and a higher proportion of popular songs are love songs? Why do you think this is the case?