Digital History ID 3774
1. Japan had been at war for four years prior to the attack on Pearl Harbor with which country?
a. China b. Indonesia c. French Indochina
2. After the Japanese air attack on Pearl Harbor, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt declared that Dec. 7, 1941, was "a date which will live in":
a. dishonor b. infamy c. history d. iniquity
3. The Pearl Harbor attack took place on what day?
a. Monday b. Wednesday c. Sunday d. Friday
4. About how long did the attack take?
a. two hours b. 45 minutes c. 15 minutes
5. Pearl Harbor is on which Hawaiian island?
a. Maui b. Hawaii c. Oahu d. Kauai
6. The Japanese emperor during World War II was
a. Hirohito b. Hiroshima c. Hiromatsu d. Tojo
7. This word was repeated three times by attacking Japanese pilots at 7:53 a.m. to announce that they had succeeded in the surprise attack:
a. Bonzai! b. Samurai! c. Tora!
8. The number of Americans who died in the attack on Pearl Harbor:
a. 53 b. 273 c. 703 d. 2,403
9. The number of Japanese fighters and bombers involved in the attack:
a. 38 b. 88 c. 181 d. 908
10. Which one of the following countries was a member of the Axis Powers?
a. Italy b. Soviet Union c. China
11. Which of these cities was NOT destroyed by bombing during World War II?
a. Dresden b. Athens c. Nagasaki.
12. France fell to the Nazis in
a. six weeks b. six months c. never
13. Which of the following was a Nazi extermination camp?
a. St. Helena b. Andersonville c. Auschwitz
14. The Abraham Lincoln Brigade fought in the
a. Spanish Civil War b. The Battle of the Bulge c. The Battle of the Marne
15. This key Pacific battle which gave the United States naval supremacy against Japan:
a. Coral Sea b. Midway c. Leyte Gulf.
16. Which of these Allies suffered the most military dead in World War II:
a. Britain b. The Soviet Union c. The United States
17. Which of these three Nazi leaders was not born in Germany?
a. Goebbels b. Himmler c. Hitler
18. Which of these Chinese cities suffered the rape and murder of hundreds of thousands of its residents by invading Japanese troops?
a. Nanking b. Peking c. Shanghai
19. Toward the end of the war, Italian dictator Benito Mussolini was
a. captured by U.S. troops and tried as a war criminal b. captured and shot by Italian partisans c. fled to Peru where he drowned years later while swimming.