Digital History ID 3757
Part I: Multiple Choice Questions:
1. Approximately how many Africans were forcibly transported to the New World between the 15th and the mid-19th centuries?
d. 10-16 million
2. Before 1820,
c. Slave imports outnumbered European immigration by 4 or 5 to 1
3. What proportion of slaves forcibly transported to the New World were imported into areas that are now part of the United States?
a. 6 percent
4. Slaves and free blacks made up what proportion of New York City's population in the early 18th century?
d. 15 percent
5. The overwhelming majority of African slaves were brought to the United States between
c. 1721 and 1780
6. Slavery in the United States was unique in all but one of the following ways. Select the EXCEPTION.
c. greater access to freedom (EXCEPTION) Slaves in the United States had LESS access to freedom than those elsewhere.
7. The proportion of Southern white families that owned slaves in 1860 was
b. 25-30 percent
8. In the late antebellum period, approximately how many free blacks owned slaves?
9. Approximately how many American slaveowners had more than 50 slaves in 1860?
a. 10,000 By 1860, only 2.7% of southern slave holders owned more than 50 slaves and only 0.1% owned 200 or more. These 2.8% of whites owned one quarter of all the slaves in the South.
10. When did most of the American slave population convert to Christianity?
d. at the end of the 18th century and the beginning of the 19th
Part II. True or False
1. Slavery has always been based on race.
2. Most African slaves were acquired by European raiding parties
3. Slave labor was inefficient and unproductive
4. Slavery was incompatible with urban life and factory technology