Digital History ID 3755
1. The major issue that divided American politics in the 1850s was
b. the expansion of slavery into the western territories
2. The admission of California to the Union in 1850
b. broke the sectional balance of power between North and South in the U.S. Senate
3. The most divisive element in the Compromise of 1850 was a provision
c. requiring the return of fugitive slaves
4. What was the name of the anti-Catholic, anti-immigrant party that arose in the early 1850s?
c. The Know-Nothings
5. A Northern man with Southern principles was called a
6. Stephen Douglas proposed that the issue of slavery in Kansas be resolved by
b. a vote of the people who settled the territory
7. Consequences of the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854 included all but one of the following. Select the EXCEPTION.
d. The admission of Kansas to the Union as a slave state
8. In its notorious Dred Scott decision, a majority of the Supreme Court made all but one of the following rulings. Select the EXCEPTION.
d. That popular sovereignty was constitutional
9. John Brown
a. sought to provoke a slave revolt by raiding Harpers Ferry, Virginia