|The Stages of Migration
|Digital History ID 3302|
Migration usually involves a series of distinct steps or stages. These include:
- The stimuli that lead individuals to migrate
- Preparations to move
- The transit to a new environment
- Acclimation to a new location
- Reception of immigrants into the new environment
- Establishment of a new identity
Questions to think about:
- Do all migrants pass through each of these stages?
- Does this model only apply to "voluntary" migrants? Or is it also useful in understanding the experience of involuntary migrants?
- Are there any other stages that you would add to this list?
Copyright 2021 Digital History