Quiz on the Spanish American War
Digital History ID 3764
1. In what year did the war take place?
a. 1890 b. 1898 c. 1900
2. How long did the war last?
a. four months b. a year c. two years
3. Which of the following did NOT cause the war?
a. The sinking of the battleship Maine in Havana harbor b. A letter from the Spanish ambassador calling U.S. President William McKinley a coward c. Spanish efforts to provoke a war between the U.S. and Mexico
4. Which was NOT an underlying cause of the war?
a. Guerrilla warfare against Spanish rule was causing heavy losses of American investment. b. Cuba’s strategic importance to a projected Central American canal. The so-called yellow press helped c. U.S. desire for the Philippines, a Spanish possession
5. Which famous newspaper editor used his paper to encourage war against Spain?
a. Joseph Pulitzer b. William Randolph Hearst c. John Knight
Copyright 2016 Digital History