Answers to Quiz 1 on the American Revolution
Digital History ID 3737
1. The United States won its independence from:
2. The Revolutionary War lasted from:
3. These famous words - "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal ... " are part of:
C. The Declaration of Independence
4. Which American Revolution figure was sentenced to death in the French Revolution?:
C. Thomas Paine
5. The second half of the war was fought almost entirely in:
A. The South.
6. Before being executed by the British, this 21-year-old Patriot recited a line from Joseph Addison's tragedy Cato - "I only regret I have but one life to give for my country":
C. Nathan Hale.
7. The people who opposed the Revolution were called:
8. Freedom was promised to slaves if they would fight:
A. In the British army.
9. To win the Revolution, America needed the help of:
C. The French.
10. On July 4, 1826, the fiftieth anniversary of American independence:
A. Both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died.
11. A famous Revolutionary War pamphlet began:
B. These are the times that try men's souls.
12. How many battle deaths did the Americans suffer in the war?:
13. A total of 25,000 people died as a result of the Revolution. Relative to the size of the population, which would that be equal to today?
C. 1 million
14. What percent of colonists actively backed the Revolution?:
C. Less than 50 percent
15. Yankee Doodle called the feather in his cap "macaroni" because:
A. That was the name of a popular clothing fashion.
16. For most of the war, Washington's chief accomplishment was:
A. Keeping the army together.
17. The Minutemen were so called because:
A. They could be mustered in a few minutes.
18. Only one of the following signed the Declaration of Independence. Which one?
A. Josiah Bartlett.
19. Most Americans who fought in the Revolution:
B. Served briefly and then went home.
20. The British occupied which of the following cities at some point during the Revolution:
All are correct:
A. Boston. B. New York. C. Philadelphia. D. Charleston.
21. At the time of the Revolution, slave could be found in how many of the 13 colonies?
All are correct:
A. Five B. Seven C. Thirteen
22. According to the Declaration of Independence, "all men ... are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights ..." Among the rights specified in the Declaration are:
D. The pursuit of happiness
23. The Declaration refers to the King of Britain several times, but not by name. Who was then the King of Britain?
C. George III
24. The oldest signer of the Declaration of Independence was 70. Who was he?
C. Benjamin Franklin
25. Who published "Common Sense," a pamphlet that helped to stir up a feeling for independence among Americans?
C. Thomas Paine
26. A popular cry during the pre-Revolutionary period in America was "Taxation without representation is ..." Add the missing word.
27. The ship of American naval hero John Paul Jones was battered by the British vessel Serapis and Jones was asked to surrender. What was his reply?
D. "I have not yet begun to fight."
28. Benedict Arnold served the American army with distinction before he was branded as a traitor. Which of the following statements about him is TRUE?
D. All of the statements are TRUE
Copyright 2016 Digital History